This chronology aims to provide a comprehensive list of events and documents which were published or circulated as part of the preparations for a European Roma Institute. Gathering these sources in one place is justified since most of the lists to this point remain partial or biased.
Note: The chronology will be updated regularly. If you have additional information send them to the firstname.lastname@example.org address.
- 18 November 2013, Marseilles http://www.mp2013.fr/evenements/2013/11/vers-un-institut-europeen-rom/?lang=en (the event was cancelled according to some sources, no further information is available)
- 12 March 2014, Bucharest, European Commissioner Vassiliou: Roma museum absolutely necessary, http://www.agerpres.ro/english/2014/03/12/european-commissioner-vassiliou-roma-museum-absolutely-necessary-13-17-42
- 27 March 2014, Strasbourg, Motion for a resolution in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe forcreation of a European Institute to counter prejudices about Roma, Sinti and Kales by promoting research about their culture and history Motion for a resolution tabled by Mr Philipp MIßFELDER and other members of the Assembly (the resolution was not discussed by the PACE) http://assembly.coe.int/nw/xml/XRef/Xref-XML2HTML-en.asp?fileid=20587&lang=en http://assembly.coe.int/ASP/Doc/XrefViewPDF.asp?FileID=20587&Language=EN
- 4 April 2014, Brussels, José Manuel Barroso announced the ERI plans by Soros and the Council of Europe at the Roma Summit, Brussels http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-14-288_en.htm
- 4 April 2014, Remarks delivered at the EU Roma Summit by George Soros, in Brussels, Belgium, http://www.georgesoros.com/interviews-speeches/entry/remarks_delivered_at_the_eu_roma_summit_04_04_14_in_brussels_belgium/
- 7 April 2014, Cluj-Napoca, SC EANRS meeting: 6th meeting of the Scientific Committee, Cluj (Romania), attended by Council of Europe official and the plans for the ERI, as a ‘partial agreement’ was presented. The SC decided to the prepare a 4 W papers as an input to the preparatory phase, members of the SC were invited to the CAHROM meeting in mid-May http://romanistudies.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/6th_SC_Meeting_7Apr20142.pdf
- 10 April 2014, Press release: Europe needs a Roma Institute by Philip Mißfelder, http://www.philipp-missfelder.de/aktuelles/missfelder-europa-braucht-ein-/
- 30 April 2014, Statement of the SC on the Council of Europe’s proposal for a European Roma Institute, http://romanistudies.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/RAN_paper_on_ERI_30April2014.pdf
- 12 May 2014, ERI concept non-paper sent to the EANRS by the CoE Roma Team circulated on email@example.com (See the the paper here).
- 15 May 2014, CAHROM, members of the EANRS SC attended the 7th CAHROM meeting as well as bilateral meetings with CoE officials. It was agreed that setting up the ERI initiative is a long political process and the Network can have a role or input into this process also at a later stage.http://romanistudies.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Report_CAHROM_and_bilateral_meetings_14_15May2014_final.pdf
- 22 May 2014, Consultations with the CoE Member States scheduled to start.
- 2 June 2014, ERI motion scheduled for discussion at Parliamentary Assembly GR-SOC, but motion withdrawn.
- 23 July 2014, video message by Urlich Bubjes the newly appointed Special Representative of the Secretary General for Roma Issues Council of Europe: George Soros and the Council of Europe in talks over new European Roma Institute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUnsKYNNXeM
- 25 July 2014, European Roma Institute: An answer to what question? by Gwendolyn Albert http://www.romea.cz/en/news/world/european-roma-institute-an-answer-to-what-question
- 7 November 2014, the 6th meeting of the Scientific Committee of the EANRS in the Paris CoE office, the meeting was attended by Urlich Bunjes http://romanistudies.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Report_7th_SC_Meeting_7nov2014_final.pdf
- 9 November 2014, the New Concept of the ERI was circulated on the EANRS list firstname.lastname@example.org for consultation (See the document here).
- 13 November 2015, Monica Rossi sent a letter to the EANRS which was forwarded to the Council of Europe SG-Roma Team (See the document here).
- 14 November 2014, consultation with the Roma intellectuals in the Council of Europe office in Paris.
- 23 January 2015, Council of Europe podcast: Ulrich Bunjes – Europe’s ‘Romaphobia,’ the ‘Strasbourg Declaration’ policy review and George Soros talks http://www.humanrightseurope.org/2015/01/podcast-ulrich-bunjes-europes-romaphobia-the-strasbourg-declaration-policy-review-and-george-soros-talks/
- 16 March 2015, Brussels, OSI presented the Concept of the ERI at a side event to the Roma Forum organized by DG Justice – (See the document here).
- 26 March 2015, Why we are setting up a European Roma Institute by Thorbjørn Jagland and George Soros, http://www.europeanvoice.com/other-voices/why-we-are-setting-up-a-european-roma-institute/, republished on 27 March 2015 http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/why-we-are-setting-european-roma-institute
- 26 March 2015, an Open Letter by Rudko Kawczynski, former president of the ERFT is circulated on the Roma Virtual Network email@example.com (See the document).
- 27 March 2015, Commentary: European Roma Institute will use the power of culture by Zeljko Jovanovic and Romani Rose http://www.romea.cz/en/news/commentary-european-roma-institute-will-use-the-power-of-culture [First published in German by Frankfurter Rundschau on 27 March 2015] reposted at the https://romadebates.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/european-roma-institute/
- 30 March 2015, European Roma and Traveller Forum position on the ERI, http://www.ertf.org/images/Letters/ERTF_Position_on_ERI.pdf
- 27 March 2015, March: European Roma Institute: Why Reinventing the Wheel by Els de Groen http://artists-for-roma-net.ning.com/forum/topics/more-institutes-more-rights
- 30 March 2015, Why are they setting up a European Roma Institute by Yaron Matras. Circulated on the Romani Studies Network , published on 4 April 2015, Romea: http://www.romea.cz/en/news/world/commentary-why-are-they-setting-up-a-european-roma-institute
- 1 April 2015, Culture, confidence and Community – The New European Roma Institute (ERI) by Colin Clark, http://www.crer.org.uk/crerblog/entry/culture-confidence-and-community-the-new-european-roma-institute-eri; republished on 16 April 2015 http://romanistudies.eu/culture-confidence-and-community
- 8 April 2015, podcast by Urlich Bunjes: International Roma Day http://www.humanrightseurope.org/2015/04/podcast-international-roma-day-2/ (In this podcast, marking International Roma Day, Ulrich Bunjes discusses the Council of Europe’s approach to furthering the social and economic inclusion of Europe’s largest minority group, also signals the organisation’s commitment to showcasing the positive contribution of Roma people to European culture and society, outlining his reasons for supporting a new European Roma Institute.)
- 8 April 2015, International Roma Day: A symbol of political unity by Martin Demirovski http://www.euractiv.com/sections/social-europe-jobs/international-roma-day-symbol-endorse-political-unification-313566
- 9 April 2015, EANRS balance sheet by Yaron Matras (See the paper here).
- 14 April 2015, Between Political Subjects and Artistic Performers: Will the European Roma Institute Really Help Europe’s Roma? by Yaron Matras http://romanistudies.eu/between-political-subjects-and-artistic-performers/
- 15 April 2015, EU initiative risks turning Roma into entertainers, not real people with human rights by Yaron Matras blog posts: The Conversation https://theconversation.com/eu-initiative-risks-turning-roma-into-entertainers-not-real-people-with-human-rights-40100
- 15 April 2015, The (weird) debate around European Roma Institute (ERI) by Valeriu Nicolae https://valeriucnicolae.wordpress.com/2015/04/15/the-weird-debate-around-european-roma-institute-eri/
- 16 April 2015, Why plans for a European Roma Institute might be a setback for Europe’s Roma by Yaron Matras http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2015/04/16/why-plans-for-a-european-roma-institute-might-be-a-setback-for-europes-roma/
- 16 April 2015, Political Bodies by Qristina Zavackova http://golden-zephyr.com/political-bodies/
- 24 April 2015, Zeljko Jovanovic and Anna Striethorst talk with Mr Lars Castellucci German MP, http://lars-castellucci.de/2015:gespraech-ueber-europaeisches-roma-institut/
- 22 April 2015, Bodies of Knowledge by Qristina Zavackova http://golden-zephyr.com/bodies-of-knowledge/
- 12 May 2015, Facebook page for the Alliance for European Roma Institute was created https://www.facebook.com/AllianceforERI
- 15 May 2015, The Forgotten History of Romani Resistance by Pierre Chopinaud, http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/forgotten-history-romani-resistance
- 15 May 2015, The Open Society Fundation published a concept paper on the European Roma Institute http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/publications/european-roma-institute
- 15 May 2015, Bientôt un institut de la culture rom avec la fondation Soros? by Carole Sterlé, Le Parisien http://www.leparisien.fr/saint-denis-93200/bientot-un-institut-de-la-culture-rom-avec-la-fondation-soros-15-05-2015-4774287.php
- 15 May 2015, The Roma Awakening by Andrew Ryder post on the ERRC Blog, http://www.errc.org/blog/the-roma-awakening/60
- 16 May 2015, Yaron Matras circulated a commentary on the ERI concept paper on the firstname.lastname@example.org email list.
- 16 May 2015, The Alliance for European Roma Institute launched a public consultation on ERI https://www.facebook.com/AllianceforERI/posts/572609589547872
- 16 May 2015, Pour un institut culturel européen des Rroms by Marcel Courthiade, Saimir Mile, Nara Ritz, Francine Schutt Jacob http://blogs.mediapart.fr/edition/roms-et-qui-dautre/article/160515/pour-un-institut-culturel-europeen-des-rroms
- 16 May 2015, Unerzählte Geschichten: Sinti und Roma in Auschwitz-Birkenau by Ethel Brooks, Patricia Pientka, http://derstandard.at/2000015898321/Unerzaehlte-Geschichten-Sinti-und-Roma-in-Auschwitz-Birkenau
- 18 May 2015, Interview with Zeljko Jovanovic, Director of the Roma Initiatives Office at the Open Society Foundations, http://www.romea.cz/en/news/world/interview-with-zeljko-jovanovic-director-of-the-roma-initiatives-office-at-the-open-society-foundations
- 18 May 2015, We Want to Hear What You Think About the European Roma Institute by Zeljko Jovanovic (co-authored by Dr. Nicoleta Bitu and Ulrich Bunjes) http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/we-want-hear-what-you-think-about-european-roma-institute
- 19 May 2015, Council of Europe: European Roma Institute launches online consultation http://www.humanrightseurope.org/2015/05/european-roma-institute-launches-online-consultation/
- 19 May 2015, Why we need a European Roma Institute – Speech by Zeljko Jovanovic at the Council of Europe on 8 April 2015, Published on the OSI Roma Initiative Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RomaInitiatives/videos/970453786332549
- 21 May 2015, Statement of the European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF) on the revised concept paper on the ERI http://www.ertf.org/images/Reports/ERTF_views_on_ERI_13052015_EN.pdf
- 25 May 2015, The statement of the Alliance of Cities and Regions for the Inclusion of Roma, http://www.roma-alliance.org/en/page/156-a-european-roma-institute.html
- 25 May 2015, ‘Anti-Gypsyism Must Be Eradicated by Every Possible Means’ says Zeljko Jovanovic, interview on http://freeroma.wix.com/freeroma
- 26 May 2015, The statement of International Roma Union (IRU) on ERI (dated 22 May 2015) is published on the Facebook page of the Alliance for European Roma Institute https://www.facebook.com/AllianceforERI/photos/pcb.578256748983156/578256692316495/
- 27 May 2015, Roma Body Politics: Collaborative Exhibition for the establishment of the European Roma Institute, Private launch and debate in the margin of the CAHROM meeting, Agora Building of Council of Europe, Strasbourg, France, https://www.facebook.com/events/1592078217736985/
- 9th CAHROM Meeting, 27 to 30 May 2015, Strasbourg, on the agenda priorities for Roma inclusion for the years 2015-2019, including the initiative of the Open Society Foundations to establish a European Roma Institute (ERI), http://www.coe.int/en/web/portal/cahrom
- 29 May 2015, International Seminar “Roma Culture in Different Social Contexts” Khamoro World Roma Festival in the Hungarian Cultural Center, Rytířská 25-27, Prague https://www.facebook.com/events/382641531932131/
- 3 June 2015, Message on ERI from Andrzej Mirga, former OSCE ODIHR Senior Adviser on Roma and Sinti Issues https://www.facebook.com/AllianceforERI/posts/580895252052639
- 4 June 2015, Parliamentary Hearing on the European Roma Institute, at the European Parliament https://www.facebook.com/events/452936024884937/
- 4 June 2015, Album with the images and short biographies of the members of the Alliance for ERI was published on the Facebook page of the Alliance for ERI https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.581201688688662.1073741829.571361609672670
- 4 June 2014, ‘From the Balkans to the Baltics, Roma groups express support for a European Roma Institute’ article published in Romea http://www.romea.cz/en/news/world/from-the-balkans-to-the-baltics-roma-groups-express-support-for-a-european-roma-institute
- 5 June 2015, The European Roma Institute: Frequently Asked Questions, a paper prepared by the Open Society Foundations (Roma Initiatives), the SRSG for Roma Issues of the Council of Europe, and the spokespersons for the “Alliance for the European Roma Institute” http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/sites/default/files/european-roma-institute-FAQ-20150604.pdf
- 11 June 2015, Diskussion zum Europäischen Roma Institut, Deutscher Bundestag – Paul-Löbe Haus, https://www.facebook.com/events/1580102575585573/
- 12 June 2015, European Roma Institute proponents respond to analysis by the European Roma and Travellers Forum in Romea, http://www.romea.cz/
en/news/world/european-roma- institute-proponents-respond- to-analysis-by-the-european- roma-and-travellers-forum
- 29 June 2015, ‘Why should we support the European Roma Institute?’ by Romalitico http://romalitico.org/index.php/content/other/item/53-european-roma-institute
- 31 July 2015, Delaine Le Bas & Tímea Junghaus: Europe’s Roma Struggle to Reclaim Their Arts Scene, https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/europe-s-roma-struggle-reclaim-their-arts-scene
- 15 September 2015, Council of Europe: European Roma Institute will spread understanding of Roma culture and challenge stereotypes, https://go.coe.int/0d1fM
- 16 September, OSI Press Release: European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture Endorsed by Council of Europe, https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/press-releases/european-roma-institute-arts-and-culture-endorsed-council-europe
- 16 December 2016, Don’t Call Them Gypsies — & Everything Else You Need To Know About Roma Women by Meredith Clark, Refinery29 http://www.refinery29.com/2015/12/98355/roma-women-activism-europe
- 8 April 2016, Ein Zentrum für Sinti und Roma Von Michael Roth, Zeljko Jovanovic, Die Welt Gastkommentar http://www.welt.de/print/die_welt/debatte/article154128003/Ein-Zentrum-fuer-Sinti-und-Roma.html
- 8 April 2016, Vers une nouvelle étape pour le mouvement rrom européen, par Alliance pour Un Institut Rrom Européen https://blogs.mediapart.fr/alliance-pour-un-institut-rrom-europeen/blog/080416/vers-une-nouvelle-etape-pour-le-mouvement-rrom-europeen
- 8 April 2016, European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture: Building the Future by Honoring the Past by The Alliance for the European Roma Institute, Romea.cz, http://www.romea.cz/en/news/world/european-roma-institute-for-arts-and-culture-building-the-future-by-honoring-the-past
- 8 Apil 2016, Germany: Berlin set to host new Roma Institute for Arts and Culture, Statement by Secretary General of the Council of Europe Thorbjørn Jagland, http://www.humanrightseurope.org/2016/04/germany-berlin-set-to-host-new-roma-institute-for-arts-and-culture/
- 19 April 2016, Europa puede aprender de su minoría étnica más numerosa, Ethel Brooks, Contexto y Accion http://ctxt.es/es/20160413/Firmas/5370/romanies-Europa-minoria-Europa-Europa-contra-s%C3%AD-misma-Tribunas-y-Debates.htm
- 16 May 2016, Roma-Kunst als Widerstand, Der Standard, Userkommentar by Tímea Junghaus http://derstandard.at/2000036939379/Roma-Kunst-als-Widerstand
- 17 May 2016, Statement of the Alliance for the European Roma Institute on the 72nd Anniversary of the Romani Uprising in Auschwitz-Birkenau, https://www.facebook.com/AllianceforERI/posts/711952748946888
- 25 May 2016, The Council of Europe publishes the ‘Draft statutes of the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture (ERIAC)’ https://search.coe.int/cm/Pages/result_details.aspx?ObjectId=0900001680653da1
- 27 May 2016, Roma art as an act of resistance by Timea Junghaus, http://www.romea.cz/en/news/world/timea-junghaus-roma-art-as-an-act-of-resistance
- 16 July 2016 European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture (Berlin) seeks Executive Director http://www.romea.cz/en/news/world/european-roma-institute-for-arts-and-culture-berlin-seeks-executive-director
- 16 Februar 2017 The funding asseembly of the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture took place in Berlin https://www.facebook.com/AllianceforERI/photos/a.575411799267651.1073741828.571361609672670/853477371461091/?type=3&theater
- 2 June 2017 It’s Time for Roma People to Speak for Themselves by Tímea Junghaus https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/it-s-time-roma-people-speak-themselves
- 2 June 2017 CoE Newsroom: Launch event for the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture: 8 June in Berlin http://www.coe.int/en/web/portal/-/launch-event-for-the-european-roma-institute-for-arts-and-culture-8-june-in-berlin
See more press materials about the ERIAC on their website: http://eriac.org/eriac-in-the-press/
- 10 January 2018 The webpage of the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture e.V. (ERIAC) was launched http://eriac.org/
Latest update: 12 January 2018 (@10:30)